10/6/13

modals: special difficulties (7)


7.- USED TO/TO BE USED TO

To be used to + infinitive is used to express habitual actions in the past:

I used to smoke, but I gave it up two years ago – yo solía fumar, pero lo dejé hace dos años.

to be used to + -ing form is used to express sth you are accustomed to doing:

I’m not used to getting up so early – no estoy acostumbrado a levantarme tan temprano.

Practice-7

Put the verb in brackets in the infinitive or the –ing form as required

a.- Basil’s used to (work) .............................................. eight hours on his farm.
b.- He’s used to (sleep) .................................. late on Sunday mornings.
c.- I used to (play) ........................................ basketball at school.
d.- Grace used to (cry) ................................... a lot when she was a baby.
e.- I’m not used to (eat) ........................................ so much.
f.- My father used to (travel) ......................................... a lot.

Attention! for habitual actions in the present the simple present is used:
I usually get up at seven o’clock every day Me suelo levantar a las siete todos los días
Carol is usually late Carol suele llegar tarde

  KEY TO PRACTICE -7

a- work; b- sleeping; c- play; d- cry; e- eating; f- travel


0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario