12/6/13

modals: special difficulties (8)


8.- POLITE REQUESTS

You can make a polite request in English with the following modals: can/could, may/might and will/would.
May is more formal than can, and the past forms (could, might and would) are considered to be more polite than the present ones (can, may and will):

Can I have some coffee, please? - ¿puedo tomar café, por favor?
Could you lend me a pen, please? - ¿podrías prestarme una pluma, por favor?
May I come in? - ¿puedo pasar?
Might I have another drink? - ¿podría tomarme otra copa?
Will you please answer the phone? - ¿quieres contestar el teléfono?
Would you please stop the car? - ¿Querría usted parar el coche, por favor?

Practice-8

Make polite requests using the words in brackets

a.- ¿Quieres abrir la ventana, por favor? (will)
a.-
b.- ¿Puedo tomar otro café? (may)
b.-
c.- ¿Puedes ayudarme a llevar la maleta al piso de arriba? (can)
c.-
d.- ¿Podrías prestarme tu moto? (could)
d.-
e.- ¿Podría traer otro amigo a la fiesta? (might)
e.-


KEY TO PRACTICE -8



a- will you please open the window?
b- may I have another coffee?
c- can you help me (to) carry the suitcase upstairs?
d- could you lend me your bike/motorcycle?
e- might I bring another friend to the party?
     
  


0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario