16/9/13

Phrasal verbs: transformation exercises-2

Complete the second sentence using the particles in brackets so that it has the same meaning as the first. Here's a clue to help you: all the verbs in exercise one begin with t and all the verbs in exercise 2 begin with w:

Exercise 1

1.- If something new happens, I'll let you know
(up)
1.- If something new ..................., I'll let you know

2.- He finally surrendered to the local police
(over)
2.- He finally.............himself...........to the local police

3.- The policeman made him empty his pockets
(out)
3.- The policeman made him ................his pockets

4.- He was trying to get rid of his pursuers
(off)
4.- He was trying to ...............his pursuers

5.- Mr. Perkins will relieve me
(over)
5.- Mr. Perkins will...................from me

6.- Can I test the car first?
(out)
6.- Can I ...................the car first?

7.- He understood the situation at a glance
(in)
7.- He .................the situation at a glance

8.- We must dissuade her from marrying him
(out)
8.- We must............her..............marrying him

Exercise 2

1.- I've devised an easier plan
(out)
1.- I've.................an easier plan

2.- One of those bombs would annihilate our village in a split second
(out)
2.- One of those bombs would ...................our village in a split second

3.- I'm longing to get home and relax
(down)
3.- I'm longing to get home to................

4.- Playing with my little grandchildren exhausts me
(out)
4.- Playing with my little grandchildren ..............me........

5.- It's your turn to wash the dishes tonight
(up)
5.- It's your turn to..................tonight

6.- Kevin has left his wife and their two children
(out)
6.- Kevin has...................his wife and their two children

7.- The effects of the anaesthetic are beginning to disappear
(off)
7.- The effects of the anaesthetic are beginning to ...................

8.- The coal miners are threatening to go on strike again next Friday
(out)
8.- The coal miners are threatening to.....................again next Friday

KEY

Exercise 1: 1.- turns up; 2.- turned....over; 3.- turn out; 4.- throw off; 5.- take over; 6.- try out; 7.- took in; 8.- talk.........out

Exercise 2: 1.- worked out; 2.- wipe out; 3.- wind down; 4.- wears....out; 5.- wash up; 6.- walked out on; 7.- wear off; 8.- walk out


0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario