4/9/13

Transformation exercises 2

Transformation exercises -2

Complete the second sentence using the word in brackets so that it has the same meaning as the first:

Exercise 1

a.- The hotel we stayed at last summer is better than this one
(good)
a.- This hotel.....................the one we stayed at last summer

b.- It wasn't me who took the book
(deny)
b.- I........................the book

c.- We were able to cross the river despite the strong current 
(succeeded)
c.- We...............................despite the strong current

d.- She doesn't usually eat three meals a day
(eating)
d.- She.........................three meals a day

e.- You shouldn't be here
(supposed)
e.- You ....................here

f.- Unfortunately, I couldn't see you because I didn't have time
(able)
f.- If I had had time,..................................to see you

g.- I've been living in this village for ages
(donkey's)
g.- I've been living in this village.................

h.- I regret leaving my job
(wish)
h.- I...........................my job

i.- The dress is so expensive! Why did you buy it?
(such)
i.- Why did you buy ...............................

j.- "Though I haven't seen him for a month, we have spoken by phone" Carol said
(admitted)
j.- Carol ..........................by phone

KEY  - 1

a.- isn't as good as
b.- deny taking/having taken
c.- succeeded in crossing the river
d.- isn't used to eating
e.- are not supposed
f.- I would have been able
g.- for donkey's years
h.- wish I hadn't left
i.- such an expensive dress
j.- admitted to speakin/having spoken to him

Exercise 2

a.- I haven't eaten ice cream for six months
(up)
a.- I....................ice cream six months ago

b.- I refuse to put up with the neighbours' noise any more
(enough)
b.- I've .............................the neighbours' noise

c.- I would like to be taller
(wish)
c.- I.....................taller

d.- We're getting a friend to repair the roof
(repaired)
d.- We..............................by a friend

e.- My relationship with Adam is none of your business
(nothing)
e.- My relationship with Adam......................

f.- She isn't likely to change her mind about it
(probably)
f.- She...............................about it

g.- She was about to say something when the phone rang
(point)
g.- She.............................................when the phone rang

h.- I'm sure he didn't phone, because I was at home all day
(have)
h.- He................................., because I was at home all day

i.- I don't like you speaking to me like that
(wish)
i.- I....................................to me like that

j.- I regret telling you about my new girlfriend
(wish)
j.- I.............................about my new girlfriend

KEY - 2

a.- gave up eating
b.- had enough of
c.- wish I was/were
d.- are having the roof repaired
e.- has nothing to do with you
f.- won't probably change her mind
g.- was on the point of saying something
h.- couldn't have phoned
i.- wish you wouldn't speak
j.- wish I hadn't told you

Exercise 3

a.- The hill was slippery because of the rain, so we had difficulty climbing 
(made)
a.- The rain ..........................., so we had difficulty climbing

b.- Could you try and spend a little less on Christmas presents this year
(rather)
b.- I'd..............................a little less on Christmas presents this year

c.- The film was so boring
(such)
c.- It ................................

d.- Why don't you help me more around the house?
(wish)
d.- I......................................more around the house

e.- I imagine you had a great time in Morocco
(must)
e.- You........................a great time in Morocco

f.- I can't believe this is the best hotel in the city
(hotels)
f.- There must be...........................in the city

g.- Do you think it would be a good idea to get my hair cut?
(suggest)
g.- Would you .............................my hair cut?

h.- That car was too expensive for us to buy
(been)
h.- We would .....................................expensive

i.- Despite looking everywhere, he never found his wallet
(although)
i.- He didn't .................................everywhere

j.- They believe that he murdered his wife
(he)
j.- .................................murdered his wife

KEY 3

a.- (had) made the hill slippery
b.- rather you spent
c.- was such a boring film
d.- wish you would help me
e.- must have had
f.- better hotels than this (one)
g.- suggest that I get
h.- have bought that car if it hadn't been so
i.- find his wallet, although he looked
j.- He's believed to have







0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario