7/10/13

Nursery Rhyme: Eena, meena, mina, mo

Now that a new course has just begun, nostalgic memories of the time when I taught English Grammar, Phonetics and English Lexicography at the University keep coming to my mind. Here is, as an example, the following nursery rhyme:

Eena, meena, mina, mo,
Catch a chicken by his toe;
If he squeaks, let him go,
Eena, meena, mina, mo.

This is undoubtedly the most popular rhyme for counting out a player in children's games, but I used it in my classes to invite the 'lucky winner' to 'volunteer' for an exercise or an activity. It corresponds roughly to the Spanish 'pito, pito, gorgorito, ¿dónde vas tú tan bonito? A la era verdadera, pim, pam, fuera!' Give it a try, dear colleagues, it works.

2 comentarios :

  1. I don't remember hearing the nursery rhyme in class but I do remember when you used to say "I need a volunteer" or something like that.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I think I started using the nursery rhyme after your time.

    ResponderEliminar