13/4/14

Grammar review: practical exercises - 1 (simple past/present perfect)

Today begins our Holy Week, and I'm sure you are going to be too busy watching our splendid processions to study any grammar or vocabulary, but I suggest you reserve a minute to review some of my grammar posts and do some practical exercises. 
Today we'll begin with the difference between the simple past and the present perfect http://sanchezbenedito.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/present-perfectsimple-past.html

PRACTICAL EXERCISES

EXERCISE -1

Only two of the eight sentences below are correct. Put the incorrect ones right:

1.- My grandfather, who died two months ago, has worked in            India for five years.
2.- When I was young, I've spent many years travelling around            Spain.
3.- I've never seen anyone play so well in my whole life.
4.- I have known a woman once who had six dogs and eleven cats.
5.- Derek drove to York last week to visit his parents.
6.- Jane felt hungry. Then she has remembered that there was              some salad left in the fridge.
7.- Phone for an ambulance. I think Philip just broke his leg.
8.- The Earth has been formed more than four million years ago.

EXERCISE 2

Find a verb that fits both sentences in each pair below. Alternate the simple past and the present perfect:

9.- (a)  The Bible..........more copies than any other book.
    (b)  When it became clear that we would be moving to                   Australia,     we ....... the house to my brother-in-law.
10.- (a) The price of houses ............dramatically in recent years.
       (b) Unemployment ............every year since the '90s, but then         it started to rise.
11.- (a) So far it's been so cold that we  ....... in the house all day. 
       (b) We ........ with my wife's parents last weekend.
12.-  (a) I ........... skiing ever since I live in Switzerland.
        (b) He once ....... the support of the majority of the                       Democratic Party.
13.-  (a) At his wedding, he ......... a green suit and red tie.
        (b) These are the glasses I ........... ever since I was forty.
14.-  (a)  When I picked up the coffee I ..... surprised to find that it         was cold.
        (b) This .......... her home for over 50 years and she doesn't           want to leave it.

KEY

EXERCISE 1

1.- My grandfather, who died two months ago, worked in India for five years.
2.- When I was young, I spent many years travelling around Spain.
3.- correct
4.- I knew a woman once who had six dogs and eleven cats.
5.- correct
6.- Jane felt hungry. Then she remembered that there was              some salad left in the fridge.
7.- Phone for an ambulance. I think Philip has just broken his leg.
8.- The Earth was formed more than four million years ago.

EXERCISE 2

9.-  (a) has sold; (b) sold
10.- (a) has fallen; (b) fell
11.- (a) have stayed; (b) stayed
12.- (a) have enjoyed; (b) enjoyed
13.- (a) wore; (b) have worn
14.- (a) was; (b) has been




0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario